Makeup palettes are some of the best ways that give you the chance to try many different shades in a single compact package. However, most of you are probably guilty of just sticking to one color and forgetting the rest or taking them for granted completely.
If you know how to properly use these face palettes, you will be able to make the best out of them. Just take note that similar to other types of makeup products, your skincare will always come first. Don’t forget to moisturize your face first before you apply any makeup on it.
How Do You Use Color Correcting Palettes?
Many palettes often have the same colors that go well together. However, color correcting palettes are a different product altogether.
The best kind of color correcting palette includes various shades of concealer meant to neutralize colors on opposite sides of the color green. You can neutralize red with green, use yellow for any discoloration, and peach to hide those ugly dark circles.
You can layer the color correcting concealer under the foundation to ensure that any bright color will remain invisible after you put on your makeup.
How Do You Use Contour Palettes?
Even though you will be able to contour your face using two different shades of foundation, bronzer, highlighter, or concealer, a highlighter or contour kit palette will give you all of the shades that you will need, with all of them having the same textures.
You can go for a shade that is darker compared to the natural color of your skin to add some shadow to your cheekbones as well as anywhere you want to sculpt. Meanwhile, a shade that is lighter than the tone of your skin can be used on the parts of your face that reflect light naturally, like your browbone and the top of the cheekbones. You can blend all of these together if you use a rosy shade on your cheek’s apples.
How Do You Use Eyeshadow Palettes?
Eyeshadow makeup palettes are perfect for layering several complementary shades. Basic eye look includes three shadows, namely dark, medium, and light shades in flat or matte finish that are all meant for your skin tone. Every time you shop for an eye palette, be sure to pick shades that will complement your skin and be sure to use black mascara only.
- Deep or dark – dark brown, medium brown, and black or deep brown shadow
- Medium to tan – an espresso brown, chestnut brown, and a taupe
- Light – a chestnut brown, taupe, and ivory-colored or pale bone shadow
The following is the general guideline you can follow when applying eyeshadows:
- Darkest shadow – You can use it for additional definition along the eyelash line or if you want to achieve a smoky eye.
- Mid-tone shadow – This can be used on the visible eyelid under the crease to create depth.
- Lightest shadow – You can this all over the eyelid as the base for nixing excess oil as well as even out your eyelid’s tone.
You can add a fourth shade to achieve a smoky eye. You can also try playing around with texture because eyeshadows are available in shimmer, flat, or matte finishes. If you would like your chosen eyeshadow to complement the color of your eyes, you can use the rule of contrast as your reference guide. Cool colors will contrast with warm, and this is the reason why navy eyeliner or blue eyeshadow looks the most striking when used on brown eyes.
- Hazel and brown eyes – All types of vibrant jewel-toned colors, such as emerald, violet, and blue, look amazing against brown eyes because brown is a type of neutral color. You can add color contrasts against your brown eyes to make them look brighter. Copper and rose gold tones can also brighten up your hazel eyes.
- Green eyes – Copper, rose gold or rose gold, and copper tones can play up your green eyes. Silver and gunmetal gray are attention-grabbing as well.
- Blue eyes – Many types of dark colors can bring attention to your blue eyes. You can apply black and smudgy liner against your blue eyes. A gold shimmer will also work well if you wish to achieve a more glam appearance.
How Do You Use Lip Palettes?
Lip palettes particularly come in handy if you want to blend the perfect lip color together. There are certain days when you might want to go for brick red while other days, you might choose to wear orangey-red.
Lip palettes let you achieve an ombre lip. You can use a darker shade to line the outside of the lips and apply a lighter color on the center of the lips and use a lip brush to blend these two together.
How to Keep Your Makeup Palettes Clean
If you have even the slightest idea how much dead skin cells and dirt exist on your favorite eyeshadows, you will surely be obsessed with keeping your eyeshadow palettes week after week. Try to think about the number of times that you dip your makeup sponges and brushes in them whenever you apply your makeup.
This is the reason why it is important for you to learn the right way of cleaning your makeup palettes to keep them free from germs and bacteria all the time.
For this process, you will need the following:
- Small spray bottle
- 70% rubbing alcohol
- Cotton swabs or tissues
- Micellar water
Follow these steps for cleaning your makeup palettes:
- Start off by using a dry tissue to gently wipe the surfaces of the palette. This will help get rid of the layers of germs on the top.
- Dip the cotton swab in some micellar water and use it for gently cleaning off any excess makeup on the palette.
- Put some rubbing alcohol in the spray bottle and spray it lightly across the top of every eyeshadow. It will help sanitize the surface and eliminate bacteria.
- Do it regularly several times a month to sanitize your eyeshadows and powders.